By Pauline Couper
This ism-busting textual content is an greatly available account of the main philosophical and theoretical principles that experience educated geographical learn. It makes summary rules specific and obviously connects it with genuine practices of geographical examine and data.
Written with aptitude and fervour, A Student's advent to Geographical Thought:
- Explains the main rules: clinical realism, anti-realism and idealism / positivism / serious rationalism / Marxism and important realism/ social constructionism and feminism / phenomenology and post-phenomenology / postmodernism and post-structuralism / complexity / ethical philosophy.
- Uses examples that deal with both physical geography and human geography.
- Use a well-known and real-world instance - ‘the seashore’ - as an access element to simple questions of philosophy, returning to this to demonstrate and to provide an explanation for the hyperlinks among philosophy, idea, and method.
All chapters finish with summaries and resources of extra examining, a thesaurus explaining key words, workouts with commentaries, and internet assets of key articles from the journals Progress in Human Geography and Progress in actual Geography. A Student's creation to Geographical Thought is a totally obtainable scholar A-Z of idea and perform for either human and actual geography.
Read Online or Download A Student's Introduction to Geographical Thought: Theories, Philosophies, Methodologies PDF
Best human geography books
Desertification bargains a entire evaluate of the topic and obviously emphasizes the hyperlink among neighborhood and worldwide desertification procedures and the way prior and present coverage has affected arid environments and their populations. this article competently applies the study undertaken over the past 15 years at the subject.
Mathematical versions have lengthy been utilized by geographers and neighborhood scientists to discover the operating of city and neighborhood platforms, through a procedure the place the equilibrium aspect adjustments slowly and easily because the parameters switch slowly and easily. even if, this all replaced with the appearance of disaster conception and bifurcation, which enabled the improvement of types the place a really surprising swap within the place of the equilibrium aspect effects from a gradual, small, delicate swap in a single or extra parameters.
Die Entwicklungspfade von San Diego sind beeinflusst von der sozialen, kulturellen und ökonomischen Verschiedenheit der beiden Räume San Diego und Tijuana. Diese Verschiedenheit hat sich heute zu einer Ressource für Hybridisierungen entwickelt. Hybriditätsforschungen betrachten Kultur als Prozess, in dem sich Eigenes und Fremdes gegenseitig beeinflussen und bedingen.
This e-book brings jointly numerous systems-level methods to the respect of the interplay of livelihood offerings, typical source administration and participatory motion examine on sustainable improvement. through targeting those methods to neighborhood switch, the quantity hopes to motivate readers to think about how they may undertake tools similar to Sustainable Livelihoods method (SLA), group Capitals Framework (CCF) and Participatory motion examine (PAR) of their personal study, perform and educating.
- Indigenous Studies and Engaged Anthropology: The Collaborative Moment
- Envisioning Human Geographies (Arnold Publication)
- Scientists, Experts, and Civic Engagement: Walking a Fine Line (Routledge Studies in Environmental Policy and Practice)
- Geography and Political Power: The Geography of Nations and States: Volume 5 (Routledge Library Editions: Human Geography)
- Environmental History in East Asia: Interdisciplinary Perspectives (Academia Sinica on East Asia)
- Les littoraux latino-américains: Terres à découvrir (Travaux et mémoires) (French Edition)
Extra resources for A Student's Introduction to Geographical Thought: Theories, Philosophies, Methodologies